|The Fall (episode)|
|Season 3, Episode 10|
|Air Date||October 30, 2016|
|Release Date||October 30, 2016|
|Post Date||October 30, 2016|
|Written By||Carlton Cuse & Chuck Hogan|
|Directed By||Carlton Cuse|
| ← previous|
Do or Die
| next →|
The Worm Turns
| Corey Stoll as Ephraim Goodweather|
David Bradley as Abraham Setrakian
Palmer and Setrakian devise a plan to lure the Master to Stoneheart headquarters so that Eph, Fet, Dutch, Setrakian, and Quinlan can entrap him in the silver-lined sarcophagus. However, the Master, who has taken a new body, ambushes Palmer and transfers his essence into him, gaining Palmer's memories. The Master retrieves the remaining nuclear bomb from Palmer's vault and revives the mortally wounded Eichhorst. The latter leaves to plant the bomb in the Statue of Liberty, giving Kelly the detonator that is later taken by Zach. Eph and Setrakian meet with Palmer but quickly realize it is the Master and battle him. Dutch activates the strigoi disruption device, crippling the Master; Quinlan, Fet, Eph, and Setrakian seal the Master into the silver-lined sarcophagus. Eph, slightly wounded, stays behind to treat himself, as the others take the sarcophagus to dump it into the Atlantic. Kelly, accompanied by Zach, enters Palmer's office and attacks Eph, forcing him to kill her in self-defense. Enraged over his mother's death, Zach vengefully detonates the bomb. The explosion's shockwave frees the Master from the sarcophagus, and the resulting nuclear debris obscures the sun, allowing the strigoi to walk freely in daylight. Eichhorst leaves with Zach, while Setrakian’s group is forced underground to avoid nuclear fallout and rampaging strigoi. Outside amid the chaos, Eph searches for Zach.
- Kelly Goodweather
- Hundreds to thousands of people in New York City
Humanity’s survival was never certain. We had been close to perishing many times before. In the 1300’s, the Bubonic Plague took over 20% of the humans on the globe.Later, the Spanish Flu infected more than 1/2 the people on Earth and killed 75 million before we were able to recover. Then, science rose and humanity flourished. The population soared to more than 7 billion. Our advancements brought us all closer together. We lost our fear. We believed we no longer had any predators. We believed in the primacy of science and technology. But, forty-one days was all it took. Humanity teetered on the edge of the abyss. All it needed was one small push for a final, last-ditch rescue. - Setrakian
- Thermonuclear device (hydrogen bomb, or H-bomb) uses a nuclear fission reaction , split atoms apart, to drive a nuclear fusion reaction. The fission reaction creates the temperature and pressure necessary to bring atoms together, and release of sizable amounts of energy
- The first test of a Thermonuclear device occurred on November 1, 1952, nearly a decade after the test of the Atomic Bomb (A-bomb makes use of nuclear fission).
- The detonation of an H-bomb, releases an Electromagnetic pulse, which fries all electronic devices within its path.
- The reason for the shape of the mushroom cloud: hot air rises rapidly, leaving a void or empty space for cold air to enter (Nature abhors a vacuum). When the hot air hits the upper reaches of the atmosphere, it cools down, gravity kicks into gear with the most heaviest particles suspended in air dropping first,a process known as convection, hence the wide shape of the head of the cloud, known as a cap.
- A Nuclear Winter, is a natural consequence of a detonation of a high-yielding nuclear weapon. As a result of this impact, soil gets aerosolized (broken into smaller particles) and thrown into the atmosphere, blocking the sun, preventing photosynthesis and the eventual loss of vegetation and animal life. The duration of such of an event can theoretically last from days to years. The closest modern day equivalent would be the volcanic event of 1815, the Tambora event, in which a reduced amount of sunlight fell upon the area for a year. In fact the event was called "year without a summer."
- Obviously, a Nuclear Winter is highly advantageous to creatures like the strigoi, because they do not have to worry about avoiding the sun, and can travel in the day.
- There are several reason why Eichorst was able to acquire a nuclear warhead:
- After the breakdown of the Soviet Union, the systems used track nuclear material were not being maintained, due to a lack of resources.
- Due to budgetary constraints, Soviet technical and military personnel were quite vulnerable to enterprising criminal elements, which helped compromise operational security. Moreover, those with the requisite skillset, sold their services to the highest bidder.
- The United States did what it could to contain the nuclear crisis in the former Soviet Union, namely transferring nuclear material to the United States through the Megatons to Megawatts Program .
- The reason why nuclear material is less likely to be stolen from US hands, is strict materiel accounting, which can account for the nuclear substance , down to a mere fraction of a gram. Also a nuclear warhead is encased within multiple safeguards known as Permissive Action Link(s). This means that there has to be a total cascade failure, as in all the safeguards need to fail before any damage can be done.