|Quick and Painless|
|Season 2, Episode 5|
|Air Date||August 9, 2015|
|Written By||Elizabeth Ann Phang|
|Directed By||J. Miles Dale|
| ← previous|
The Silver Angel
| next →|
| Corey Stoll as Ephraim Goodweather
Mia Maestro as Nora Martinez
As panic-stricken people try to flee New York City, the city doubles its efforts in combating the Strigoi outbreak.
Eph takes on a disguise, shaving his hair and using a fake badge, so he can travel out of the city and to Washington D.C. He hopes to speak with a colleague, who has ties in the government, about the Strigoi bio-weapon that he and Nora worked together on and see if he can get it mass produced. He leaves Zach in the care of Nora while he's away.
Dutch and Nora speak with Councilwoman Feraldo, trying to arrange for Fet to be released from custody. In exchange, Nora will guide Feraldo's medical personnel on how to determine if someone is infected, as Feraldo's nephew is infected. When Nora is unable to do anything for the Councilwoman's nephew, they both knew what they had to do. Feraldo could not bring herself to harm him, and so Nora euthanizes him for her.
As they provide assistance with clearing out a building that is infested with Strigoi, Fet and Dutch teach Feraldo's police squad techniques to use against the Strigoi and the Feelers.
During Eph's ride to Washington D.C, he runs into Dr. Everett Barnes. As Barnes wants Eph arrested, Eph tries to avoid him as best he can. Ultimately, the two come face to face in an altercation, resulting in Barnes being shoved off the train, and Eph making it to Washington without being caught.
Palmer and Coco are in the middle of a romantic dinner together when they are interrupted by Cardinal McNamara, who notifies Palmer that an item he is looking for may reappear very soon.
The episode ends with a scene showing an anonymous Strigoi, who has breached the NJ restricted airspace in a jet. The authorities arrive to take him into custody, but they are too late, as the anonymous Strigoi has left the airport in a car, accompanied by another.
- Zack's Room
- Dutch & Fet
- Ephraim passes through Security Checkpoint
- The sign in the background states "Rats can fit through a hole the size of a quarter"
- This identification card which Ephraim presented to Police Officer Wilson is known as a Common Access Card, which is used by government personnel to access secure buildings and restricted computer systems. On the sample CAC card, three items not described which is worthy of attention: 1) On the obverse, or the front-facing side of the card on the lower left-hand corner is a two-dimensional bar code; 2) On the reverse or back-facing side of the card there is a magnetic stripe on the top 3) Barcode is on the bottom
- In this episode, the public address systems states that "All Trains are overbooked". Regardless of any crisis, it is well-known practice that Common Carriers like Trains, Plains, and Ships do "over-book" their conveyances, due to the fact that statistically speaking a certain number of people do not show up to make the "connection".
- Abraham Setrakian: [in a stand-off with Alonso Creem] A chain of events is about to play out here, Mr. Creem. Your loyal bodyguards will riddle me with bullets, but not before I draw this blade across your throat. To put it in language we both understand, you will not come out well in this trade.
[Radio Newscast - Press conference this morning, Mayor Lyle said that he's satisfied with the progress ...]
- Ephraim Goodweather: ...and then it's just a cab ride over to the Pentagon for some sort of mass-dispersal plan. The military is more prepared for biological warfare than we'd like to think. Anyway, the point is, we've got a shot. You, me and Nora, we can set the reset button on this to make it safe again; we can go home.
- Zack Goodweather: I'm not gonna go home without Mom.
[Radio Newscast - ...New York City encompasses more than 300 square miles.... ]
- Ephraim Goodweather: You know what magical thinking is, Zack? It's basically, it's, uh, hoping for something that's just not possible.And you're getting too old for that. I really need your help here.
- Zack Goodweather: You can't make me go with you.
- Ephraim Goodweather: Sorry, buddy, I'm not leaving you with a bunch of people we hardly know.
- Zack Goodweather: If I have to, I can fend for myself!
- Nora Martinez: Eph, can I talk to you for a second?
- Ephraim Goodweather: Finish packing.
[Radio Newscast - Children snatched overnight at night... slaughtering the innocent ...and police officers and four National Guardsman]
- Ephraim Goodweather: Thanks. Let's get packing, I want to get on the 1:30 train.
- Nora Martinez: What are we doing here, Eph?
- Ephraim Goodweather: We tested the weapon twice. It works. We gotta get moving.
- Nora Martinez: I agree. But let's think this through for a second. You're a fugitive, I'm your known associate, and he is your kid.
- Ephraim Goodweather: I changed our names.
- Nora Martinez: Don't you think our little family group is gonna draw attention, especially passing through security checkpoints onto trains reserved for government officials? I'm not leaving Zack behind.
- Nora Martinez: You wouldn't be leaving him. He would be here with me.
- Dutch: Hello?
- Ephraim Goodweather:You're not going?
- Nora Martinez: You need to be able to fly under the radar. And if something falls apart, you need to just drop everything and run.
- Dutch: Well, Fet's been arrested.
- Nora Martinez: What, what do you mean?
- Dutch:I mean he's in custody for trying to blow up the tunnel last night.
- Nora Martinez: Shit!
- Ephraim Goodweather: In the middle of something ...
- Dutch: It's that Staten Island lady and her goon squad.
- Dutch:I'm gonna go down there.
- Nora Martinez:I need to go with her. She's gonna get arrested too.
- Ephraim Goodweather: Please, please. You're right, I'm wrong. It's not practical, but I need you. We're partners.
- Nora Martinez: I'm making the decision this time, Eph. You're gonna do this alone.
- Radio Newscaster: The brazen robbery earlier this morning by a highly organized group of assailants is further evidence that the country is teetering on the verge of financial collapse. ... "With the dollar in freefall and recent runs on Manhattan banks, people have begun to turn to commodities as a more secure form of assets." In the last two weeks, six major banks have closed their branches in Manhattan and evacuated their staff. The financial sector expects more banks to follow suit in the coming weeks. As in previous eras of widespread conflict and social upheaval, precious gemstones, silver, platinum and gold...
[Public Address System - Attention all passengers. Trains are overbooked. Please conduct yourselves safely at all times. Valid Government-issued ID is required for clearance with Homeland Security. There are no exceptions. Attention all passengers. Trains are overbooked. Please conduct yourselves safely at all times. Valid Government-issued ID is ...]
- Unnamed Passenger: Look, buddy, wait your turn!
- Ephraim Goodweather: CDC! CDC! ... Hey, how's it going?
- Police Officer Wilson: What's your business in Washington?
- Ephraim Goodweather: I live in Washington. I'm going home.
- Police Officer Wilson: How long have you been in New York?
- Ephraim Goodweather: Since February 12th. Four days after the plane landed.
- Police Officer Wilson: You're with the CDC.
- Ephraim Goodweather: That's right.
- Police Officer Wilson: And now you're leaving?
- Ephraim Goodweather: We have a response deployment meeting tomorrow. We're sending more teams back up here.
- Police Officer Wilson: Can I see your driver's license, please?
- Ephraim Goodweather: I don't drive.
[Public Address System - This is the final boarding call for 130 Northeast Corridor Express - to Washington, DC.]
- Ephraim Goodweather: That's my train.
- Police Officer Wilson: Have a safe trip home.
- Ephraim Goodweather: Thank you for your service.
- Ephraim Goodweather: I'm not letting you get in my way again.
- Everett Barnes: You think I like the position they've put me in? They nearly threw me over a balcony, Eph. I can't even sleep. I barely eat.
- Ephraim Goodweather: Then just let me go. I've got a plan to wipe out all the infected and clean all this up.
- Everett Barnes: Well, that's great news. I'll let you go. I appreciate you still trying to do something about this.
- Ephraim Goodweather: You're lying.
- Everett Barnes: Trust me, Eph.
- Ephraim Goodweather: I can't trust you, Barnes. I know you.